UPSC MANGALAJODI - English
Why in News?
The Odisha government has proposed to ban movement of mechanised fishing boats in the Mangalajodi area of the Chilika lake.
- Mangalajodi is an olden village under Odisha block in Khordha district of Odisha at the northern part of Chilika Lake.
- Scenic beauty of this village and its vast wetland attracts the visitors.
- Mangalajodi is recognised as globally important for the conservation of birds. Migratory birds arrive there for roosting.
Roosting - to settle down for rest or sleep; to settle oneself as if on a roost.
- Its vast wetlands attract thousands of migratory birds, journey from as far different places of the world.
- Its wetlands now host more than 1.5 lakhs of birds in the peak season.
- The month November to March is a good time to visit for enjoying an amazing experience.
- Its importance as a significant global wetland habitat and declared as an International Bird Conservation Area.
- Paika Akhada is another dance performed by some villagers.
- Danda Yatra is one of the oldest ritual occasions celebrated in the month of Chaitra.
BEST TNPSC ACADEMY IN COIMBATORE
BANK ACHIEVERS Achievers