A rift valley is a lowland region that forms where Earth's tectonic plates move apart, or rift. Rift valleys are found both on land and at the bottom of the ocean, where they are created by the process of seafloor spreading.
- Narmada is the largest west flowing river of the peninsular region flowing through a rift valley between the Vindhya Range on the north and the Satpura Range on the south.
- It rises from Maikala range near Amarkantak in Madhya Pradesh.
- It drains a large area in Madhya Pradesh besides some areas in the states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- The river near Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh) forms the DhuanDhar Falls.
- There are several islands in the estuary of the Narmada of which Aliabet is the largest.
- Major Tributaries: Hiran, Orsang, the Barna and the Kolar.
- The major Hydro Power Projects in the basin are Indira Sagar, Sardar Sarovar etc.
- Another important westward flowing river originates from the Betul district of Madhya Pradesh in the Satpura ranges.
- It flows in a rift valley parallel to the Narmada but is much shorter in length.
- Its basin covers parts of Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- Par River is a river in Gujarat with its source near wadpada village in Nashik Maharashtra.
- It flows into the Arabian Sea.