Tamilnadu Public Service Commission
Primary (Must Study Books)
For General Studies Portion :
1. State Board books are considered as primary source of TNPSC Exam question setting for all TNPSC Group Examination. Since, the TNPSC VAO Exam is a SSLC / 10th Exam Qualification Examination, you should study the Tamilnadu State Board Samacheer Kalvi text books from 6th to 10th stds.
i)Social Science Books - 6th to 10th Std
ii)Science Books - 6th to 10th Std,
2. Arihant General Knowledge - a must have and most referred book for TNPSC Exams
Next to Samacheerkalvi books, you have to fully cover the Arihant GK Book. Especially the last 80 pages (General Knowledge Portion) . It is a must have book for all TNPSC Exam Aspirants. This is the only book suggested by all coaching centers through out Tamilnadu. Written in simple English, even Tamil Medium Candidates also can easily understand. So both Tamil and English medium aspirants, if you can, try to have a copy of this book immediately.
It is available to buy online also Click to BUY.
For General English / Pothu Tamil Portions
For TNPSC Pothu Tamil and General English portions you should study Tamil / English books from the Samacheerkalvi 6th to 10th standard books and 11th, 12th also ( many syllabus portions mentioned in the GT / GE are available in the 11th and 12th books.)
Note : If you can afford money, you can purchase any of the guide books available in the market. For General English, Sakthi Publishing book is almost comprehensively covers the syllabus portions.
For TNPSC VAO Basics of Village Administration
You should buy a Basic of Village Administration Books (Tamil or English) available in the Market . Sakthi or Sura or any other guide books is sufficient. But before buying, check whether the book covers all syllabus portions.
For TNPSC VAO Aptitude Portion
Study Samacheerkalvi Books 6th -10th mathematics (only aptitude syllabus portions) if you have time. Secondly, Quantitative Aptitude by R.S.Agarwal ( Buy online from flipkart ) is the most preferred book for Aptitude. English medium candidates must have this book. If you are preparing in Tamil, Kanian TNPSC Guide or Sakthi TNPSC Aptitude Books you can buy. If you can, have a group study for TNPSC Maths Portion.
Old Question Papers & Practice Tests
Work out old VAO / Group 4 question papers for GK portions and TNPSC VAO/Group 4/ Group 2, 2A Pothu Tamil / General English question papers. Do as much as practice tests you can, this will help you to score more marks in TNPSC VAO Exam.
Current Affairs Portions
Read newspapers regularly and Take Notes. Refer atleast one Competitive Monthly Magazines every month. You may also refer tamilcurrentaffairs.shanmugamiasacademy.in
Secondary ( Additional Books List)
(Only after completing the above primary books.)
1. 11th,12th Botany and Zoology if you have time
iii)Polity - 11th,12th Political Science
iv)Economy - 11th,12th Economics Books
v)Geography -11th,12th Geography Books
vi)Indian Culture - 12th Indian Culture Book
i)Prof.J.Dharmarajan's Tamilnadu History
ii)K.Venkadesan. India Freedom Struggle
i)Lakshi Kanth - Indian Polity
i)Pratiyogita Darban's Indian Economy & Ramesh Singh's Book
i)Oxford School Atlas
ii)Spectrum Publication -Indian Geography
6.Tamilndu Language and Culture (Mains Exam)
i)தமிழ் இலக்கிய தகவல் களஞ்கியம் - தேவிரா
ii) தமிழ் இலக்கிய வரலாறு - மு . வரதராஜன்
i)The Hindu, Dinamani,
ii)Competitive Success Review/Civil Service Chronicle/Competition Wizard
8.Science & Technology
i)Science & Tech by Spectrum Publications
9.India Year Book by Government of India
i)Objective General English by R.S. Agarwal
i)A Modern Approach to Verbal Reasoning by R.S. Agarwal
ii)Quantitative Aptitude by R.S.Agarwal
iii)Objective Arithmetic - R. S. Agarwal
12.Guide Books for General Studies (Not Important, if you study all the above mentioned books). Any one of the Guides like Tata Mc Graw Hill, Spectrum or PearsonEXAM PATTERN FOR GROUP 1
TNPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern: Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC)’s Group 1 Exam pattern and scheme of examination are given below…..
Scheme of Examination: Group 1 Exam will consists of Preliminary Examination, Main Written Examination and Oral Test.
A. Preliminary Examination: Preliminary examination will consists of 200 items in objective type, duration will be 3 Hours for maximum marks of 300.
DCs, BCs and
|Single paper in General Studies-200 items
Degree Standard – Objective Type
General Studies – 150 items
Aptitude & Mental Ability
Test (SSLC Standard) 50 items
B. Main Written Examination & Oral Interview: Main examination will consists of descriptive type questions from degree standard. Exam will have three papers viz., Paper I, Paper II and Paper III each will carry maximum marks of 300 in time duration of 3 hours. Subject name, maximum marks and qualifying marks for main examination and interview are given below….
|Minimum Qualifying Marks
|SCs, SC(A)s, STs,
MBCs/DCs, BCs and
General Studies- Descriptive type –
Paper-IIIInterview & Record
C. Oral Interview: Interview will be conducted for 120 MarksEXAM PATTERN FOR GROUP 2
TNPSC Group 2 Exam Pattern Details: Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) conducts Combined Civil Services Examination-II (Non-Interview Posts) (Group-II A Services). Scheme of Examination is as follows…
Scheme of Examination (Single Paper) (Objective Type) (Degree Standard):
|(Single Paper) (Objective Type)
General Studies (Degree Standard)
Aptitude and Mental Ability Test
(S.S.L.C. Std.) (25 items)
General Tamil/ General English
(S.S.L.C. Std.) (100 items)
(Total – 200 items)
1. Two types of question papers will be set. One type of question paper will contain questions on General Studies (75 items), Aptitude and Mental Ability Test (25 items) and General English (100 items). The other will contain questions on General Studies (75 items), Aptitude and Mental Ability Test (25 items) and General Tamil (100 items). Candidates have the option to choose either General Tamil or General English for answering the second 100 items apart from answering the first (75+25)100 items on General Studies.
2. The questions on General Studies will be set both in English and Tamil and the questions on General Tamil/ General English will be set in the respective languages.
3. Answer sheet answered in a subject other than the subject opted by the candidates in his application/ specified in the Hall Ticket will be invalidated.
4. Each one mark will be deducted for incorrect or absence of shading Register Number.